Get to Know the Authors

Monday, January 25, 2016

Start the New Year With a Little Zen by "Tidying Up"

by Valerie Ipson



What is it about this cover that just makes me so calm and happy? 
The restful clouds and peaceful blue sky...and the no-capital letters. 
I just want to open it and learn how decluttering will bring me all of those things. 
Of course, the red circle announcing it's a NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER helps too. 
There is a place for ALL CAPS in our zen-world and that is it! Now on with my post...


"...do papers...accumulate like snowdrifts and clothes pile up like a tangled mess of noodles?"

Um, yes. Have you seen my house? Clothes, actually, aren't so much of an issue now that all my children but one are out of the house, but PAPER? PAPER is driving me CRAZY.

The first line of this post is from a blurb about the life-changing magic of tidying up by Marie Kondo. (We're giving it away this month! Details HERE.)

Here's what else you find in the blurb... 
"...Kondo takes tidying to a whole new level, promising that if you properly simplify and organize your home once, you’ll never have to do it again." Even though, surely, it was too good to be true, that's the line that sold me.

She has a method--an order of what to tidy first, second, third, etc. Easy, non-emotional stuff first, like clothing and books (okay, maybe semi-non-emotional when it comes to books). But just the idea that eventually I would un-bury myself from the piles (snowdrifts--except that they absolutely will not melt, dang it!) of paper in my office and possibly discover a computer waiting with my current WIP* on it sounds lovely.

I've konmari-ed my clothes, now I'm on to books and looking forward to a clutter-free space, and brain, to work with.

What about you? What can tidying up do for your writing life?

*Work-In-Progress, for the non-writerly among us





3 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this. Sounds heavenly to try this out. I know the basics, i think, but i would love to give this a read. Adding to my to read list. I am culling and weeding my house this month. I want to find a good balance between minimalist and completist. Closer to minimalist, but I, too, love my books, creative tools and materials and I want it within reach all the time. Good review! I am sold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting this. Sounds heavenly to try this out. I know the basics, i think, but i would love to give this a read. Adding to my to read list. I am culling and weeding my house this month. I want to find a good balance between minimalist and completist. Closer to minimalist, but I, too, love my books, creative tools and materials and I want it within reach all the time. Good review! I am sold.

    ReplyDelete